WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small text files sent by the website to the user’s device (usually browser) where they are stored so they can then be sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit by the user. A cookie cannot retrieve any other data from the user’s hard disk nor transmit computer viruses or acquire email addresses. Each cookie is unique to the user’s browser. Some cookie functions may be delegated to other technologies. In this document, the term “cookie” will refer both to cookies themselves and to other similar technologies.
Using cookies, it is possible to store information about your preferences, such as the pages visited or the files downloaded from our website, or other similar actions performed when browsing our website.
FIRST OR THIRD PARTY COOKIES
Cookies may be a first or third party. “First-party cookies” are cookies developed by the Owner of the website, while “third-party cookies “are cookies developed by third parties with respect to the Owner.
TYPES OF COOKIES
There are different types of cookies:
Technical cookies are only used for the purpose of “carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network, or as strictly necessary in order for the provider of an information society service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user to provide the service” (see art. 122, paragraph 1 of the Code).
They are not used for other purposes and are normally directly installed by the website owner or manager. They may be divided into:
- session cookies, which allow you to browse the website and use its features (e.g. enabling a purchase or a login in order to access reserved areas); they are therefore necessary for the correct operation of the website;
- analytics cookies, similar to technical cookies when used directly by the operator of the site to gather information in aggregate form about the number of users and how they visit the site, in order to improve the website performance;
- functionality cookies, which allow the user to browse the website based on a series of selected criteria (e.g. language, products selected for purchase), in order to improve the service provided. The installation of these cookies does not require prior consent of the user (additional information is provided in the Cookies Management section below).
DURATION OF COOKIES
The duration of cookies is dictated by the expiry date (or by a specific action such as closing the browser) set at the time of installation. Cookies are categorised as follows:
- session cookies: used to store temporary information, they allow to link the actions carried out during a specific session, and are removed from the computer when the browser is closed;
- persistent cookies: used to store information, for example, username and password, so that the user does not have to enter them each time that they visit a specific site. These are stored in the computer even after the browser is closed.
Session cookies are not saved once you close the connection with this website. The information technology systems used for this website use both temporary (session) and persistent cookies.
HOW TO MANAGE COOKIES
You can disable cookies on websites by downloading special software such as Ghostery (https://www.ghostery.com) for your browser and by disabling the use of individual cookies. You also have the option to activate “private browsing” mode – this will allow you to browse the web anonymously without leaving traces of your browsing history. This feature only allows you to browse the web without saving your browsing history.
Alternatively, you can disable/delete cookies by accessing the settings panel of your browser.
ACCEPTING AND DECLINING COOKIES